To apply for a Firearms Identification Card (F.I.D.) or License To Carry (L.T.C.)
- Contact the Townsend Police Department Firearms Records Bureau at (978) 597-6214 and schedule an appointment with one of our Licensing Officers.
- Fill out the Massachusetts Resident LTC/FID Application and bring it along with any supporting documents with you to your scheduled appointment.
FEES: Please bring a CHECK or MONEY ORDER for $100 payable to the Town of Townsend at the time of submitting your application.
- Dealer’s (Including Gunsmiths) $100.00 (Exception: If Gunsmith License and a Dealer’s license are issued, the fee for both is $100.00.)
- License to sell Ammunition: $100.00
- Firearms Identification Card for Chemical Propellant ONLY $ 25.00
- (No charge for renewal applications for “Restricted” FID Cards)
- License to Carry Firearms: $100.00 (Includes license to possess machine guns)
- License to Carry Firearms for Law Enforcement Officials, or Local, State or Federal Government Entities Acting on their behalf: $100.00
- Permits to Purchase: $100.00
- Non-Residents and Non-Resident Aliens: $100.00
- Resident Aliens: $100.00
New LTC applicants
Must be 21 years of age or older to obtain a permit. In accordance with MGL Ch. 140, Sec. 131(a) & (b); Issuing of LTCs is also “subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper” An LTC costs $100.00 and is valid for 6 years.
New FID applicants
Must be 18 years or older (or 14-17 years of age with parental consent. Applicants 14 years old may apply, but will not be issued the card until they reach age 15). In accordance with MGL Ch. 140, Sec. 129B; “Any person residing or having a place of business within the jurisdiction of the licensing authority or any person residing in an area of exclusive federal jurisdiction located within a city or town may submit to the licensing authority an application for a firearm identification card, or renewal of the same, which the licensing authority shall issue if it appears that the applicant is not a prohibited person”. The fee for an FID card is $100.00 for people 18 years of age or older and $25 for applicants under 18 years of age. It is valid for 6 years.
Firearm License Renewals
Firearm licenses are valid for 6 years. You must submit a request with Townsend Police Department for a renewal prior to the expiration date of your current license. If your application for renewal is made prior to the expiration date, your current license remains valid until the renewal is either approved or denied. Additional training is not required.
Chemical Spray (MACE)
FID card for Chemical Spray is not required unless applicant is under the age of 18.
In accordance with MGL Ch. 140, Sec. 131P (a) all first time firearm license applicants must successfully complete a MA Certified Firearms Safety Course or a Basic Hunter Education Course and submit a certificate of completion with their firearms license application.
Certified Firearms Safety Courses
Courses are taught by independent instructors certified by the Mass. Department of State Police and are usually a 1-day course. Taking a firearms safety course is your best option if you are simply trying to fulfill the training requirement to apply for a Mass. firearms license.
Basic Hunter Education Courses
Courses are administered by the Division of Fisheries & Wildlife and are taught throughout the state by certified volunteer instructors. The Basic Hunter Education course includes recommended performance guidelines for all novice hunters. People interested in obtaining a hunting license as well as apply for an FID should take this course.
Licenses will be issued for the following reasons and restrictions will apply in accordance with Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 140 Sections 129B and 131.
Licenses to carry are subject to the following restrictions relative to possession, use or carrying firearms as the Licensing Authority deems proper.
- No Restriction
- Basic Safety Course Certificate plus proof of completion of an “Advance Gun Course”1.
- Restricted – For Target, Hunting, Sporting, Collecting, and Re-enactment.
- Basic Safety Course Certificate
Any improper use reported to our department may result in the permanent revocation of your License to Carry Firearms on the grounds of suitability. If you are denied or disqualified for any reason you will be notified in writing of both the reason for denial and the appeal process.